Monday, April 21, 2008

The Birthday Hug!


The Birthday Hug!
Originally uploaded by colleenbaptista
Tomorrow I will be 52 years old! UGH!!!! Seven years ago tomorrow I recieved a gift that would last two lifetimes. Tim was leaving to go back to school in Santa Barbara, it was my 45th birthday ,he was home for the weekend. When he left that afternoon I walked to his truck with him and he gave me a hug. But this hug was very special , it lasted a little longer and was a little tighter than usual, enough to make me aware that it was different. I didn't know then that it would be the last hug I would ever get from my sweet boy. Tim was killed 3 weeks later in Santa Barbara. It didn't take me very long to realize what an incredible gift Tim had given me that afternoon. How many times do you really remember something as simple as a hug or a quick kiss? I have cherished this memory everyday day for the last seven years and will cherish it for the rest of my life. How blessed I am to have this memory. As you can tell I wear my heart on my sleeve for everyone to see. I share this story because I like to think that it is things like this that make us take notice of the little pleasures in life that are not to be taken for granted. It is actually a happy day for me( except for the 52 thing!)

1 comment:

pinkroses said...

Happy (belated) birthday to you...and what a great picture of your handsome son. What a difficult 7 years this must have been...how wonderful that you are now able to hold onto the good times and the good memories of the times you had with him...that is a blessing in itself. I hope your birthday was a good one! suzanne